05 November 2013

Why we choose to cyber school

           Any parent of a child with special needs will tell you that they worry about their child's education. They worry that the school is meeting their child's needs. They can tell you horror stories about the numerous IEP meetings they have attended. There are far too many tales of bullying. This is just the tip of the ice burg when it comes to a special needs child's education.

          We dealt with our local brick and mortar school for four years. My daughter would come home and go on for hours about how terrible the kids were to her. She would talk about how mean the teachers had been that day. She would complain about feeling sick and needing to stay home before we had even had our dinner. Each day I would get a call from the nurse that my daughter had once again thrown up. There were many tears shed from both my daughter and myself.

           I want to share with you why we choose to cyber school. I could list so many reasons but I am going to let you read an essay my daughter had to do recently for school. It says more than I could ever write.

From Very Bad to Very Good: A Tale of Two Schools
Every day I got up and I told my mom I was sick so I wouldn't have to go to that awful place. I wouldn't have to go to a place where the teacher would tie my legs to my desk, or where kids stole my lunch and put it in their socks. These teachers didn't care if I passed or if I failed. I couldn't even add and subtract and I was in third grade. Yep, you guessed it. School was the place I dreaded most. When my mom finally said I wasn't going back, it was one of the best days of my life. That is, until she mentioned I would still be going to school, just a different type of school.
My first day at Agora Cyber Charter School had me very nervous but happy at the same time. I wasn't sure how this whole cyber-thing would work. My materials had not arrived yet so I had to do the lessons online that didn't require any books. I was already a few weeks behind the other students since I started in October. I asked my mom “How in the world am I going to keep up?” My mom was my new teacher. She said “You will be just fine.” Things were definitely confusing at first, but at least I wasn't dealing with bullies every day.
I quickly caught on to my new school. I was getting good grades and learning new things all the time. I didn't have to worry about teachers yelling at me, or having to stand in the front of the class by the teacher's desk. While attending my previous school I would throw up every day. The teacher told me it was my problem and to “deal with it”. I haven't thrown up once since starting Agora.
I remember back at my old school when I was having trouble concentrating, I would swing my legs back and forth. The teacher didn't like this so she took and wrapped a Bungee cord around my legs and the desk so I couldn't swing them. They told me “If you continue we will put you in a cubicle so the other kids are not bothered.” I had enough problems with being bullied; I don't know how they thought that was going to help.
Since being at Agora I am able to concentrate so much better. I can swing my legs or rock in my chair and no one cares. I can't distract anyone else because they can't see me. There is a tremendous difference between my teachers now and the ones I had at my other school. Agora's teachers actually care if I understand the lessons. They go out of their way to help. My previous teachers did not care if I was passing or failing. When I would ask for help they told me get back to work. This was very frustrating and I just gave up on asking them.
Lunch time was horrible at my old school. The room was noisy with kids yelling and screaming to each other. The different aromas made my stomach turn. The kids would take my lunch and one even put it in their stinky sock. They would mix their food and try to make me get sick. They loved mixing applesauce and mayo together. They knew I hated the smell. Then they would all laugh at me. Now, lunchtime is pleasant. I get to pick what I have every day. I don't have to worry that anyone will mess with my food. The atmosphere is much calmer except for the occasional meow from my cat.  The cat is the only source of terrible odors now too.
I will never forget how I was treated at my former school. Whenever I think about the teachers, the bullies, or the noise, my stomach starts to feel sick. Agora was the most amazing thing to happen when it comes to my education. When someone asks about my school I now tell them    “I have numerous teachers that care about my success, I am making good grades, and I am learning.”
            I am so very thankful for the opportunity to cyber school my daughter. She is in the eighth grade and has Autism, ADHD, and a mood disorder.

0 comments: